PDA

View Full Version : Best Ranger in history??

Gonzaleznut
06-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Kevin brought up a great question in the "Juan on roids?" thread. Is Juan the greatest Texas Ranger ever? I say the answer is a resounding "YES, NO DOUBT!"

Now understand that the question isn't, "Who is the greatest baseball player ever to put on a Rangers uniform?" That title would fall to Nolan Ryan or maybe even Alex Rodriguez or Sammy Sosa.

But based purely on their careers as a Texas Ranger, Juan has the longevity, the team records, and the hardware to prove that he is the greatest Ranger ever.

No question that guys like Ivan Rodriguez, Rafael Palmeiro, Buddy Bell, and Jim Sundberg would be part of that discussion. The argument is simply put to rest with 2 MVP awards, 2 home run titles, and 3 playoff appearances (the only three in Rangers history by the way).

freddie
06-21-2007, 03:27 PM
No doubt, the greatest ever to wear a Ranger's uniform would be Alex Rodriguez. The best overall numbers as a Ranger would have to be Juan. I would give Pudge the award for the greatest player that will always be most connected to the Rangers. Hopefully when his contract with Detroit is up, he can come home to retire.

knr47
06-21-2007, 04:58 PM
Statistically, it's got to be Juan. How long do you guys think it will be before he gets his number retired, though? Not until Hicks is gone?

freddie
06-21-2007, 05:10 PM
Is there a rule? It has been 5 years since greer last played so maybe 2010.

Gonzaleznut
06-21-2007, 07:41 PM
I'm not sure there is a rule. The Rangers actually have a Hall of Fame. I am not sure what the length of time one has to be retired to be eligible, but Juan will certainly be elected once he is.

I doubt the Rangers will retire his number. They only have 3 numbers retired. Nolan Ryan (34), Johnny Oates (26) and Jackie Robinson (42, like every other team). The Rangers haven't done that a lot. Albeit that might be because they haven't had anybody really worthy of that great of an honor until the mid-90s teams.