PDA

View Full Version : Auction: 1990 ProCards Promo, Ends at 3:30pm PST, Aug 15th

akar
08-13-2007, 07:29 AM
This auction is for a 1990 ProCards Promo, pictures are included in this post.
The auction will end at 3:30pm PST, Aug 15th.

Actual shipping costs to be paid by the buyer.

Bids and questions can be sent to me at alan(dot)rollings(at)gmail(dot)com

Questions can also be posted in this thread.

I am placing a reserve on this auction, which I will email to freddie.

freddie
08-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Received the reserve price.

akar
08-14-2007, 09:13 PM
Sorry I haven't been updating the high bid.

As of 1 pm PST Aug. 14th the High Bid is $50

08-15-2007, 03:19 AM
Alan,

Hi. I have not seen you since you and your wife came. Can you email me your list again? I will not live long enough for you to sell one card at a time and get through your 350 cards. Maybe you could post your list and the members pick which card you sell next? Does anybody else think that is a good idea?

Dan

Gonzaleznut
08-15-2007, 03:44 AM
Alan,

Hi. I have not seen you since you and your wife came. Can you email me your list again? I will not live long enough for you to sell one card at a time and get through your 350 cards. Maybe you could post your list and the members pick which card you sell next? Does anybody else think that is a good idea?

Dan

That is essentially what we are doing.

jjt111
08-15-2007, 04:43 AM
Dan,

Here is his master list and down alittle he shows what he is missing.
http://www.juangone.com/showthread.php?p=892#post892

akar
08-15-2007, 05:45 AM
Alan,

Dan

Hi Dan,

I am just putting up a few choice cards on here. Alot of the others seem to be working their way out of my collection through e-mail communication. Look over the list and let me know.

akar
08-15-2007, 05:48 AM
High Bid is now $75

10pm PST Aug 14th

jjt111
08-15-2007, 06:14 AM
I wanted the English Leather card to go first so I'd have enough money to buy it. I thought the promo card would be great going second as he had the third one in existance and it needs a good home and I want it to be a member of here. Hopefully someone else will pick the card we see next.

akar
08-15-2007, 06:05 PM
High Bid is now $140

4 hrs 30 mins left in Auction

freddie
08-15-2007, 06:08 PM
Wow, good for you.

Gonzaleznut
08-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Unbelievable.

jjt111
08-15-2007, 10:23 PM
Whom ever gets that card should be extremely happy at that price. It's a true promo with a picture front that was not used on any other card. It was the first card I had ever put in a hard case and the first card I mention when describing my collection.

Congrats!

akar
08-15-2007, 10:58 PM
Auction Closed

Winning Bid: $140

freddie
08-15-2007, 11:01 PM
The reserve was met.

Gonzaleznut
08-16-2007, 01:49 AM
I have just made a decision to resign myself of the fact that I will probably never own that cards because I would never...I mean never pay more than $20 for it.

Wow, I must have a really screwed up perspective, but I could easily get 6 or 7 autographed cards for that much money. Call me crazy.

jjt111
08-16-2007, 02:32 AM
And none of them would be a Ted Williams signature card of Juan. But like you said it's your perspective but I'd burn mine before I'd sell it for that much.

jjt111
08-16-2007, 02:34 AM
It's much like, why read the book when you can rent the DVD, arguement.

freddie
08-16-2007, 04:57 AM
Everybody is free to pay what they wish for cards. Mike, I've always found you to be frugal in your purchases. Others are more free spending, less patient, whatever, but that is their prerogative.

In regards to these auction threads and the threads in the sale forum, negative comments in regards to the amounts that cards sell for are not helpful. This is a free market and so please let the market work as is wants to. I will post more formal rules in regards to these transactions tomorrows.

gonzologan
08-16-2007, 07:41 AM
so do we get to find out who wins the cards or is that kept a secret just curious

Tony
aka
gonzologan

Gonzaleznut
08-16-2007, 02:33 PM
Everybody is free to pay what they wish for cards. Mike, I've always found you to be frugal in your purchases. Others are more free spending, less patient, whatever, but that is their prerogative.

In regards to these auction threads and the threads in the sale forum, negative comments in regards to the amounts that cards sell for are not helpful. This is a free market and so please let the market work as is wants to. I will post more formal rules in regards to these transactions tomorrows.

You are correct in that I am frugal and others are entitled to spend whatever they want, but how is what I am saying negative? Am I not entitled to my opinion? I still think that freedom of speech is still in the Constitution. If someone disagrees with me then they are certainly able to respond. Give me your opinion on any comment I make, I won't be offended. Jonas has been very up front in sharing his perspective with us and I respect his opinion. Policing comments that people make is a slippery slope that I do not feel is appropriate.

freddie
08-16-2007, 03:15 PM
You may question prices but you may not do it within the thread of someone who is posting something for sale or bid. Doing so harms their attempt to sale the item.

knr47
08-16-2007, 03:27 PM
You are certainly entitled to your own opinion, but that doesn't mean you are required to express it. This is Freddie's site, and he should be able to create and enforce whatever rules he wants about what is being posted. When I posted that I paid $150 for a press plate, your comment was, "That sound you hear is me choking...." How is that not negative? That deal was already done, so the only thing your comment could have hurt was my ego (which it didn't, don't worry); but when you post a comment about a price being too high in an Auction or FS thread, you could discourage potential buyers and higher bidders. I don't think that any seller would appreciate someone with influence -- and you do have a significant influence on the Juan Gonzalez collecting community -- telling buyers that the seller's prices are too high.

Kyle

nosterbor
08-16-2007, 03:44 PM
You may question prices but you may not do it within the thread of someone who is posting something for sale or bid. Doing so harms their attempt to sale the item. has anyone read George Orwells 1984?

Gonzaleznut
08-16-2007, 03:49 PM
Look, I respect everyone on this site. I certainly do not mean to hurt anyone's feelings. I will try to be more cognizant of my comments and how they might be perceived by others.

freddie
08-16-2007, 04:25 PM
has anyone read George Orwells 1984?
Oh please.

I don't care what prices that the cards sell for. Perhaps, since I don't buy cards any longer, I am the only non biased person here. We have those who want cards as cheap as possible, we have those who want as much as they can get for a card, we have those that are willing to pay what it takes to get a rare card, we have it all.

I invite everyone to visit other forums with a Sale section and see if you can find rules in regards to disparaging a seller's price. I'm confident you'll find similar rules. I'll direct you to the forum I started 7 years ago, which has had that same rule in effect every day since if you like.

Does anyone think it is fair that they be able to verbally abuse others for the prices they choose to ask or pay? I don't care if you question the prices that are on ebay, I don't care if you question Kyle's purchase of a $150 press plate. What I won't allow, is for transactions that take place in the For/Sale forum to be attacked. If you want to post a thread in the Juan Gonzalez forum about how you think it is crazy to pay $140 for a minor league promo, go ahead and do it. Just refrain from doing it in the buy/sale forum. Leave the auction and for sale threads alone.