PDA

View Full Version : A little much for me...

Gonzaleznut
01-12-2011, 06:06 PM
If ayone bids on this they are an idiot!!

Also, I would think that selling a card for that high a price would garner a little higher quality scan or photo. What a terrible listing!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1997-Flair-Showcase-Masterpiece-19-Juan-Gonzalez-1-1-/320642215495?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item4aa7c3ee47

Gonzaleznut
01-12-2011, 06:10 PM
Here is another one from the same guy...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1999-Fleer-Tradition-Starting-Nine-2-9-Juan-Gonzalez-/320642221435?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item4aa7c4057b

rfurnish
01-12-2011, 06:29 PM
This is just simply insane. I just don't get it. It just amazes me at how many cards are listed on eBay at prices that will never be realized. I would think that, at some point, the sellers would actually want to sell cards, not just display them.

mcabee1
01-12-2011, 08:56 PM
he may have gotten $700 for the masterpiece back in 1997 - I once traded for two Flair 1/1 Greers from a guy asking $400 cash each. I ended up giving him almost $1000 book value in trade (this was in 1999).
The question is, what would you hit on these for? I would give $300 and $100, but thats pushing it in my opinion.

Gonzaleznut
01-12-2011, 10:54 PM
I would do $150 for the 1/1 and $100 for the Starting 9 card.

clarkfan
01-13-2011, 03:03 AM
I wish a true early Will Clark 1/1 got listed for only $700. It would be snatched up in no time. As high as that is, that's when 1/1's mattered and would be a highlight to any collection. Don't you guys think it's worth at least $400 to $500??

I saw it listed and immediately came over here to see what you guys thought of it.

nosterbor
01-13-2011, 03:03 PM
I wish a true early Will Clark 1/1 got listed for only $700. It would be snatched up in no time. As high as that is, that's when 1/1's mattered and would be a highlight to any collection. Don't you guys think it's worth at least $400 to $500??

I saw it listed and immediately came over here to see what you guys thought of it.I hate 1/1's whats the point of paying that kind of cash on 1 card? no one will ever complete all the 1/1's! i would rather spend 700 bucks on 5 numbered to 5 cards! the prime 9...well burbank has alot of numbered to 5 cards listed for 300. and they have been listed for years that way.and just sit! here are 3 more MORON sellers. i do not like name calling but, it is what it is,THE TRUTH!
http://cgi.ebay.com/2004-DIAMOND-KINGS-JERSEY-BAT-AUTO-JUAN-GONZALEZ-1-5-1-/230562650046?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item35ae9ad7be

http://cgi.ebay.com/JUAN-GONZALEZ-1999-UPPER-DECK-UD-GOLD-SUPER-RARE-03-10-/350337995691?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5191c593ab

the other seller is Member id teawolves (http://myworld.ebay.com/teawolves/) who has nothing for sale at the moment, wounder WHY!
if Juans cards were getting that kind of $$$ i would quit work and RETIRE!!!!

adelith
01-13-2011, 03:46 PM
It's funny :), the prices are consider too high :confused:, however at the time to negotiate with the cards in hands of some of the collectors in this site $200.00 or 250.00 for secondary market cards #'d 1/1 or even some oddball stuff :p, they want you to believe it's the greatest deal :cool:, on the other hand you could be called an idiot if you bid on others people cards :o. Let's face it, they are expensive, but also the real deal ;)! Maybe they just want to show off their cards and put those prices so nobody bids on them :(, but if somebody does, then it's a great deal for them :eek:. Same as some of the collectors in this site :D, they said they will consider to sell their cards just to make everybody look into their collection :rolleyes:, but when you make an offer they retract inmediately.

On your mark, get set, Go!

clarkfan
01-13-2011, 04:02 PM
Saw over on fcb that teawolves and snowmobiles are now tied to one another, that might explain why teawolves is no longer selling

I hope a 1997 or 1998 1/1 Clark gets listed 1 day (other than the Plates). $700 wouldn't be crazy at all b/c there are a lot of crazy Clark fans (including myself) to justify that price. A couple of years ago, a Starting Nine of Will sold for $300 as comparison to the Gonzo, so he's definitely stretching on that one.

I, unfortunately, would be the same as the seller. I'd probably want at least $400 for the Masterpiece and if I never sold it, it wouldn't hurt my feelings that much. That was made when 1/1's were actually cool and was THE CARD to pull.

One of you guys should at least see if he's willing to negotiate. He doesn't even sell cards that much. It definitely deserves to be in a different collection than his.

nosterbor
01-13-2011, 04:18 PM
Roberto just won this for $158
JUAN GONZALEZ LEAF CERTIFIED FOTG JERSEY AUTO 1/5
the card is serial number 1/25 the first 5 autographed!
i offered the guy selling the Item title 2003 LIMITED GAME-USED BAT AUTO JUAN GONZALEZ #1/5 1 - http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gifhttp://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/icon/iconStoresNW_20x20.gif (http://stores.ebay.com/id=67797?ssPageName=L2222)http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gifhttp://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gifBuy It Now price:http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gifUS $374.99http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gifhttp://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/icon/iconInfo_16x16.gif
Best offer price is for the item(s) only.
numbered to 5 $150.
with a link to Roberto's win.
his reply was
"US $300.00Seller's terms:
The info on the item you sent me was /25 produced so my item is five times more rare and you try to offer me less. Take a closer look at what you sent me it was over $158 paid for a /25 produced card that is not very pretty like this one. $300 FIRM
like i said M O R O N!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clarkfan
01-13-2011, 04:24 PM
Yeah, he's not right Nosterbor. You are definitely correct, ONLY the first 5 are autographed even though it's numbered to 25, he should know that. I bid on the same Will Clark one that the seller had, once again, first 5 autographed. You guys wanna guess what it sold for . . . . $427 300509929933

Not that it means anything, but I think the 2003 one looks nicer than the one for $374.95 anyway.

rfurnish
01-13-2011, 04:26 PM
I'm sure that the seller has probably already heard from a few of the collectors on here already. Personally my offer would be nowhere near what he is asking so I wouldn't waste my time. Besides, I rather take that kind of money and go buy a game used jersey or a ton of stuff from the topps vault, or maybe do something charitable with it. I like the 1/1 card but I don't even have an interest in the starting 9 card at all.

Too many people on eBay think that every card they own is worth a small fortune. Some of these sellers are assinine.

I heard somewhere that ebay allows some sellers (like burbank) to relist their items for free. They do have to take the time to set up the initial auction, so the overall initial data entry has to be pretty tedious, but once it's in, they're done. I guess they figure they should list everything at some multiple of book value and just let it sit there. There must be enough people willing to overpay to sustain their strategy. The ridiculousness of it becomes even more apparent on the higher priced items.

clarkfan
01-13-2011, 04:46 PM
Hey guys. If by chance you know anyone in Texas or have some contacts with knowledge of one of those true early issued Will Clark 1/1's (2000 Ultra Masterpiece, 1998 Longevity Holographic, 1997 Mirror Black, 1999 Metal Gem Masters), I would buy the Gonzo for you and trade it even up for a Clark, just in case you knew of one.

nosterbor
01-21-2011, 07:38 PM
Looks like Roberto hit the LOTTO again!

nosterbor
01-21-2011, 07:39 PM
i can't wait untill he springs for those BURBANK cards!:rolleyes:

01-21-2011, 09:43 PM
Roberto,

I agree with you. Money talks and BS walks. If someone wants to pay and own a card they will. I pay $800 for a 1/2 tank of fuel so that I can spend $20 to take my wife out to lunch on the boat. I take the boat out almost every week. Not logical but that is what I enjoy and I really don't care what the price of fuel is or what anyone else thinks. Baseball cards are no different. The prices are not to high if someone wants the card. Card collectors are probabably a few french fries short of a Happy Meal anyway. The intrinsic value of a card has to be less than a penny a piece so there has to be more to it than just the cardboard and an insane price. It's a hobby. I like the few cards that I have but I do not have as many as most of you. Rob, a person is not a moron because they will or will not sell a card.

Dan

nosterbor
01-22-2011, 01:48 AM
you have a ship that has a 450+ gal gas tank? notice i said ship and not boat.WOW nice size Yacht! about a 35 footer+ nice!

nosterbor
01-22-2011, 02:33 AM
Roberto,

I agree with you. Money talks and BS walks. If someone wants to pay and own a card they will. I pay $800 for a 1/2 tank of fuel so that I can spend $20 to take my wife out to lunch on the boat. I take the boat out almost every week. Not logical but that is what I enjoy and I really don't care what the price of fuel is or what anyone else thinks. Baseball cards are no different. The prices are not to high if someone wants the card. Card collectors are probabably a few french fries short of a Happy Meal anyway. The intrinsic value of a card has to be less than a penny a piece so there has to be more to it than just the cardboard and an insane price. It's a hobby. I like the few cards that I have but I do not have as many as most of you. Rob, a person is not a moron because they will or will not sell a card.

Danand also people buying cards.i guess they should not be called Morons. how about a fool and his money??????
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=250760592711&si=oyr2C8V1ld1YvklpFsYGbfiB%252BJc%253D&viewitem=

nosterbor
01-22-2011, 02:40 AM
" I pay $800 for a 1/2 tank of fuel so that I can spend $20 to take my wife out to lunch on the boat."
are you walking ORRRRRRRR talking???????
take a wild guess of what i would call that. i bet you could not even come close!

01-22-2011, 03:43 AM
Rob, Send me your email and I will send you a picture so that you can get it out of your system. The boat is not that big and it only holds 256 gallons of fuel. The boat has radar, chartplotters, 2 gps's, epirb, water heater, stereo, TV, DVD, CD player, generator, head, galley, etc. I also have my Caribe dingy attached to the stern so you might as well start making fun of my dingy also. I already know that you cannot imagine people being happy. I love my wife and boat and we have a great time. Yes, I paid more for the boat than you have paid for all of your Juan Gonzalez cards put together. I really can imagine what you think of someone spending 225K cash on a used boat but that is actually not a lot of money for a quality boat. I could not afford to buy this boat new. That was the used boat price at the time I bought it in 2006. The boat is a 2003 model and I keep it in excellent condition because we go out to sea regularly. The boat has two Crusader 385 HP engines and I cruise at about 3,000 rpm which is about 22 knots or about 25 mph. I burn about 12 gallons per hour for each engine at cruise speed.

adelith
01-22-2011, 04:10 AM
The funny part guys is that I believe I really got a great deal on both cards considering I get one of the earliest Juan Gonzalez Masterpiece 1 of 1 available. I have to thank clarkfan for the advise, since the owner was really able to negotiate. Oh! I almost forgot, the cards were resting only 10 minutes away from my house, the owner is not only a Puertorrican, he's almost my neighbor! Just a hint, I got both cards for less of the 1/1 original list price on ebay! Sorry he ain't going to fill the boat tank, but he'll be able to have a nice ride around the bay!

clarkfan
01-22-2011, 04:43 AM
You're welcome. I'm glad it got picked up by 1 of you guys. It really needed to be in a Gonzo collection forever. I almost contacted him to see what he wanted out of it to trade down the road, but it definitely went to the right collection. Congrats!

adelith
01-22-2011, 04:48 AM
I really appreciate your advise, since I was almost sure I'll waste my time asking, but with your push I decide to give it a try, as you can see it works! I hope you get to grab yours soon! ;)

You're welcome. I'm glad it got picked up by 1 of you guys. It really needed to be in a Gonzo collection forever. I almost contacted him to see what he wanted out of it to trade down the road, but it definitely went to the right collection. Congrats!

nosterbor
01-22-2011, 07:17 AM
Rob, Send me your email and I will send you a picture so that you can get it out of your system. The boat is not that big and it only holds 256 gallons of fuel. The boat has radar, chartplotters, 2 gps's, epirb, water heater, stereo, TV, DVD, CD player, generator, head, galley, etc. I also have my Caribe dingy attached to the stern so you might as well start making fun of my dingy also. I already know that you cannot imagine people being happy. I love my wife and boat and we have a great time. Yes, I paid more for the boat than you have paid for all of your Juan Gonzalez cards put together. I really can imagine what you think of someone spending 225K cash on a used boat but that is actually not a lot of money for a quality boat. I could not afford to buy this boat new. That was the used boat price at the time I bought it in 2006. The boat is a 2003 model and I keep it in excellent condition because we go out to sea regularly. The boat has two Crusader 385 HP engines and I cruise at about 3,000 rpm which is about 22 knots or about 25 mph. I burn about 12 gallons per hour for each engine at cruise speed." I pay $800 for a 1/2 tank of fuel " are you using av gas? fuels that contain ethanol can get real nasty in a very short time. or do you use SeaFoam? " I really can imagine what you think of someone spending 225K cash on a used boat "
this is what i think about that, RICH PEOPLE:eek:;) i told you you had no clue! DAN IT'S NOT A BOAT! i like it! Sounds like a great vessel! the 8.2l Merc Crusader's are great. do you have picks? P.S. i am happy for you. do not take me so serious! i would like to just have the dingy> ONE OF THESE DAYS. i would love to see pic's

mcabee1
01-24-2011, 02:53 PM
cool - I am glad someone on our site got them.... I offered him $300 and $100 and he came back to me @ $400 and $200 which I passed on. Nice additions.

rfurnish
01-24-2011, 09:36 PM
I had offered $450 for the 1/1 and received a response that he already had an offer of $500. I wasn't interested in the other one so I didn't make an offer on the other card. To get them at less than half of what the seller had listed them at (less than $600), he must've basically given away the starting 9 card.

I did go out and satisfy my 1/1 craving by purchasing a 1/1 1998 SPx Finite Mike Piazza card...I only need a handful of cards to complete that set...including Juan's spectrum Power Explosion card and Home Run Hysteria card....ugggggghhhhhhh!

Congrats Roberto on once again expanding your amazing collection.

adelith
01-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Thank you so much! For me the 3 1/1 cards in that set are the most important cards on the Juan Gonzalez collection, since they are the very first Masterpiece 1/1 cards in the market. I wish I can get the other two as well! :)

I had offered $450 for the 1/1 and received a response that he already had an offer of $500. I wasn't interested in the other one so I didn't make an offer on the other card. To get them at less than half of what the seller had listed them at (less than $600), he must've basically given away the starting 9 card.

I did go out and satisfy my 1/1 craving by purchasing a 1/1 1998 SPx Finite Mike Piazza card...I only need a handful of cards to complete that set...including Juan's spectrum Power Explosion card and Home Run Hysteria card....ugggggghhhhhhh!

Congrats Roberto on once again expanding your amazing collection.

mcabee1
01-26-2011, 02:20 PM
the mirror black was 1st wasnt it? all very close together - I have only seen 3 mirror blacks from 1997 - Maddux, Pudge & Bonds - rare stuff - I should have bought the Pudge - it was at a show several years back for $150

nosterbor
01-26-2011, 02:23 PM
SHAME on you.