View Single Post
Old 11-13-2006
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Cards: 3142

Thumbs up

What I think you’ll find is that it is hard to eliminate a collectable item of his from a “master” list of his cards. Years ago you didn’t have the technology or communication between companies to have a licensed card in a magazine. The Investors/Baseball/Sports magazine cards are no different then the Beckett sample cards that were placed in their magazine in this century except now we have the know-how to add the card while in production as well as the communication tools to get a card manufacture to supply the cards.
I like those stupid game cards (just busting) as I had enjoyed playing them many years ago and they died out because, like most board games, got computerized. Most player collectors of my age or older kept them because it added to their collection. Until the mid-90’s it was difficult to come across many items of a certain player. Thanks to places like Ebay and Beckett you no longer have that problem and few waste the time to collect them.
I grew up in a time you traded cards in person and delivered them with your extra cards in your bicycle spokes just to show off and to hear the roar it made while riding. Hell, I can still hear that noise as I’m writing this. What I’m trying to say is when that footlocker card that either Chris or Dan won on Ebay years ago was of no interest to me as it was someone playing around as you don’t have a 93 card with 91 paper on it. But that card went for over fifty bucks and is on my list as it was thought of as a collectable item for a couple of the larger collectors.
So if Freddy’s list is just certain items, no cut outs unless they are MLB licensed but the BYN cards are fine because they are a card but not a MLB licensed product and the Hamburger card is OK because it is a MLB approved even though it is a cut out. Then it becomes just another collectors “have and want list”. Of which we all have our own to begin with. I kind of expected that like the sports coin that was added we also added a collection of the same as another item as it was something that someone might want to add to their collection but if not they just wouldn’t add it to their list.
I feel with this type of dialog and Freddy’s wiliness and knowledge, along with a little help from others adding pictures and card info that this would be the most informed collectable site of any player. It certainly is heading in that direction.

The hat Mike was referring to I also have and didn’t realize how small Juan’s head was (6 7/8).