Juan Gonzalez Juan Gonzalez Online Juan Gonzalez
Forum Bio Stats Pictures Articles Links Collecting
corner   corner

Go Back   Juan Gonzalez Online > Player Discussion > Juan Gonzalez

Juan Gonzalez News, stories, collecting, anything about Juan.

Old 05-29-2008
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Cards: 20

Impressive to one is idiotic to another. It is all a matter of perspective.

Although I agree that Akar and Dan have impressive early collections, their lack of committment to continue is disconcerting.

To each his own. All of us have things within our collections that are unique and special. Each way has merit.

I would still love to see Jacob (Juanfan19), Chris (mcabee1) and Wil (aircorp42k) put their collections here on the site. I am sure that each of them have items that would be impressive to the other collectors here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie View Post
I believe his collection is impressive as he put almost all that together when prices were insane and without eBay. Doesn't really compare to sitting at the computer and buying cards from eBay and various other websites.

Last edited by Gonzaleznut; 05-29-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-29-2008
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Cards: 3142

To think of the time that was spent on everyones collection is impressive. Doing this time period, 15 plus years, alot has happened for everyone. It's good to see and get to know the collectors of the time period through this forum. In the beginning it wasn't this easy and much more costly. I'll always have respect for those helped make is easier for me with lists, vendor names and friendship. Freddie is correct when he said the forum bumped the prices a bit as we all are competitive in nature. Alan, Dan, Chris and Wil still will be remembered as pioneers of Juan collectors. Some still collect when the urge hits or that special card strikes their interest which I don't think is alarming or disconcerting. They just rearranged what is more important to them at the present time. I enjoy looking at everyones collection on here and am glad when a card ends up in one of collections and not like the 02 Ovations card. So get after them when you can and for as much as you are willing to pay. They will only get cheaper but as Rob says impossible to find.

Jonas
Old 05-29-2008
Veteran Member
Contributing Member

Cards: 6318

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie View Post
I believe his collection is impressive as he put almost all that together when prices were insane and without eBay. Doesn't really compare to sitting at the computer and buying cards from eBay and various other websites.
good point! i did not have ebay until 4 years ago.mostly doing shows and looking in phone books and beckett adds and calling around. it was tuff! Sam does not put scans because of his dial up! have any of you had a speed of 11 kb??? it sucks!!!!!takes 15min just to make a bid on ebay! been there done that! however in the 90's i could go to a show every day to find cards.every show had 100 tables or more with diff dealers around chicago.most of them travled the country to buy and sell.to me it was better then than ebay is now!! so to quit collecting in 95-well as the songs goes-"that dont impress me much"

Last edited by nosterbor; 05-29-2008 at 09:08 PM. Reason: more!
Old 05-30-2008
Veteran Member

Cards: 1049

Send a message via MSN to Rafferity

I agree!! I miss the card shows, it did take time to drive to them or just to wait impatiently for the next show, but worth it most of the time......we use to have 4-5 a year down here in the Texarkana area. 40+ tables...or at least drive to Dallas and get in on the big shows. I haven't seen any lately in the past years, of any worth 15-25 tables, too drive for them. I guess I could take time off, and hit Houston when the have the big shows. Internet has taken some of the fun of scrounging in bins and boxes at shows, don't get me wrong, when I was told of this site, I have found some cards that have eluded me, and that I am grateful for.
It's been hectic at work, 3 people have quit and only going to replace one of them....thinking of using some OT for some of Juan's big cards, I need. Hadn't really had time to really look on ebay or check here for some extras I need. I'm ready to get back in there.
Old 05-30-2008
Veteran Member
Contributing Member

Cards: 6318

what kind of work do you do?
Old 05-30-2008
Veteran Member

I'm at the hospital in supplies on night shift.
Old 05-30-2008
Veteran Member
Contributing Member

Cards: 5041

For some of us to go to a show means to travel by plane since Puerto Rico is an Island. $500.00 + to Texas or $300.00 + to Florida Means too expensive, Thanks God is ebay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafferity View Post
I agree!! I miss the card shows, it did take time to drive to them or just to wait impatiently for the next show, but worth it most of the time......we use to have 4-5 a year down here in the Texarkana area. 40+ tables...or at least drive to Dallas and get in on the big shows. I haven't seen any lately in the past years, of any worth 15-25 tables, too drive for them. I guess I could take time off, and hit Houston when the have the big shows. Internet has taken some of the fun of scrounging in bins and boxes at shows, don't get me wrong, when I was told of this site, I have found some cards that have eluded me, and that I am grateful for.
It's been hectic at work, 3 people have quit and only going to replace one of them....thinking of using some OT for some of Juan's big cards, I need. Hadn't really had time to really look on ebay or check here for some extras I need. I'm ready to get back in there.
Old 05-30-2008
Veteran Member

Yes that is true....Forgot our oversea friends on the show parts....Sorry Ebay is great!!....I found cards from Japan that I've needed in the past.
Old 06-06-2008
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Cards: 20

I have to say that I am getting a little frustrated...Roberto is winning every rare Juan card on eBay. Did I say frustrated...I meant pissed!!

Old 06-07-2008
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Cards: 3142

I have so many needs that Rob can fill I'm not worried about a card here and there but there are a couple that I will win for sure if I decide I should add them to my collection. I would of liked that 1/20 SP that Roberto got as well but Mike wanted it even more then me. I'm sure a 11/20 or another one will come up and we'll both go after it as well. I just hope it ends in one of our collections!

Jonas