Juan Gonzalez Juan Gonzalez Online Juan Gonzalez
Forum Bio Stats Pictures Articles Links Collecting
corner   corner

Go Back   Juan Gonzalez Online > Player Discussion > Juan Gonzalez

Juan Gonzalez News, stories, collecting, anything about Juan.

Old 09-15-2006
Administrator

Cards: 1

Send a message via ICQ to freddie Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzaleznut View Post
I remember seeing that Beckett and thinking how much I would like to be that guy. He has emailed me recently wanting to sell off his collection. He has also been selling a lot of cards on eBay lately.
Hmm I thought the guy in Beckett had sold off his collection long ago as it must have been 5+ years now that I bought the Star cards from him. I also bought the poster that is in the background of the picture in the article. Do you know which beckett that he is in offhand?

Quote:
I am very good friends with Rob (nosterbor on eBay). He lives in Florida and has the most incredible Juan collection in terms of total volume of Juan cards. He has over 35,000 total cards all in top loaders and in order. He stores them in 5000 count boxes.

To give you an idea, he has 65 of the 2005 Prime Patches Major League Material Autographed card.
Yes I've noticed that he seems intent on buying every copy of that card that comes on eBay. I can't fathom why that is but I'm sure he has his reasons.

Quote:
I have also met with Chris (mcabee1 on eBay) a couple of times to compare collections. I have bought some stuff from him before. His collection is also very impressive. He has almost every card up to 1996 except the Williams Autos.
Yes I've dealt with Chris a few times over the past ten years as well.

The person who has helped me out the most over the years is Jonas, jttl1. At the time, he seemed to know the most about every Juan Gonzalez card and provided me with numerable scans to point out variations. He also knew which cards were actually very rare but sold for pennies when they appeared (such as some of the TOPPS A/B/C/D type cards). I've lost contact with him in the last few years and don't see him on eBay any longer.
Old 09-30-2006
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to freddie Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie

Another update.

I've implemented a preliminary chnage that will now allow you to see who has extra cards that you need and who needs a card that you have extras of.

When viewing the list, if a row highlights in YELLOW then someone on the list needs that card and you have extras of it. If a row highlights in BLUE, then you need that card and someone on the list has extras of it.

You still have to click on the card to see who though. Let me know if you notice anything going on funny with this change.
Old 09-30-2006
Administrator

For example, this card shows up in yellow for me:

1995 Topps Cyber Season in Review

When I view it, I see that Gonzaleznut doesn't have a copy, whereas I have two.

For this to work best, you of course have to enter all of your extras. It is a long process but I am working on entering mine.
Old 09-30-2006
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Cards: 20

I like that idea. Too bad I don't have any extra cards. I just shipped all of my doubles to nosterbor.
Old 09-30-2006
Administrator

Quote:
I like that idea. Too bad I don't have any extra cards. I just shipped all of my doubles to nosterbor.
Does he just want to amass as many Juan cards as possible?

Once I get all of my doubles input, I'll see who can use any and ship them out to you guys.

Perhaps this newest feature will convince more Juan collectors to join and take part in this endeavor. I'm sure some don't see it as a competition and would like to take part.
Old 09-30-2006
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie View Post
Does he just want to amass as many Juan cards as possible?
I guess. He is actually a pretty great guy. He just moved so he hasn't been able to get on here much because he only has dial up for now in his new house. As soon as he gets high speed he will probably add his collection and you won't believe it.

He has well over 30,000 total cards. He has over 3,200 different. He specializes in the low numbered cards. He might have 10-15 of a card numbered to 19 or 25. One of his big goals is to have the entire print run for a card. That would be incredible.

The 2005 Prime Patches MLB Materials Auto card is pretty common. He has 75 of them.
Old 09-30-2006
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Once I get all of my doubles input, I'll see who can use any and ship them out to you guys.
That would be great. I think it is great when fellow collectors can help each other out.

A few years ago Jonas really helped me a ton by sending me some doubles. He sent me some really great stuff. I really appreciated that. If you are reading Jonas, thanks!!
Old 09-30-2006
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Perhaps this newest feature will convince more Juan collectors to join and take part in this endeavor. I'm sure some don't see it as a competition and would like to take part.
Again, I am still surprised that more haven't started helping. Do you realize Freddie that we have to upload almost 10,000 images if we want a scan of every card front and back. That is a monumental undertaking.

By the way, I am thinking about getting a scanner just so I can scan in my cards to this site.
Old 09-30-2006
Administrator

A scanner helps alot but when I said "take part", I just meant it would be nice if others tracked their cards as well so we could see who has what and more easily help each other. I don't expect anyone to devote a lot of time to adding pictures so I am very grateful to anyone who does.
Old 09-30-2006
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

I have already added probably 300 pictures by searching ebay and other places on the web.