Juan Gonzalez Juan Gonzalez Online Juan Gonzalez
Forum Bio Stats Pictures Articles Links Collecting
corner   corner

Go Back   Juan Gonzalez Online > Player Discussion > Juan Gonzalez

Juan Gonzalez News, stories, collecting, anything about Juan.

Old 09-06-2007
Rookie Member

Cool Question

I'm fairly new here, and was wondering is Juan's career pretty certainly over? I have been a big Juan fan over the years and am really disappointed to have to see him go out like this. You'd think Sosa's comeback would help Juan's chances, considering Sosa had a truly terrible season in baltimore where he played the majority of the season. Plus Sosa is a year older. Juan never had a bad year to end his career, he just couldn't stay healthy. He played a little more than a month in KC and was basically average. I don't think he has ever really had a chance to prove if he can still play or not. It seems ridiculous that no one is willing to invite him to spring training with absolutely no strings attached. What's the worst that could happen? If a person who was as selfish and full of himself as Sosa was can comeback and be a team player, I don't see why Juan couldn't. I realize that there are those who think that Juan carries a ton of baggage, but I think Juan is very misunderstood because he is so quite. Also, how many vegetarians take roids? Exactely. So what are yall's thoughts?
Old 09-06-2007
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Cards: 20

I was extremely surprised that no team took a chance on him in spring training this year considering the great winter ball season he had in Puerto Rico. I truly think he will never play another game in the major leagues and that is sad to me. Examples like Julio Franco, Ruben Sierra and Sosa give me only little hope.

By the way, how do you like the site?

Do you collect Juan cards??

Old 09-06-2007
Veteran Member
Contributing Member

Cards: 6364

I also think his career is over as far as with the mlb.I thought he was going to be a sure lock for the Hall as I was certain he would hit 500 homers.Now I get laughed at by a friend who collects Pudge.It still won't deter me in my pursuit of Juan collectable though...by the way any reason you haven't listed your collection?I'm sure we would all love to see it...

Kevin
Old 09-07-2007
Rookie Member

I love the site especially the articles and cards. Well I used to collect cards, but I don't have very many. My Juan collection is not as extensive as I would like. I'm thinking of getting back into it now that his stuff is really cheap though.
Old 09-07-2007
Administrator

Cards: 1

Send a message via ICQ to freddie Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie

His career is over as no one will chance on him as he gets older and will be hurt even more.
Old 09-07-2007
Veteran Member
Contributing Member

Cards: 5041

I hope someone gives him another chance! This is an article published by a newspaper in Puerto Rico about that subject.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Retiro-JG.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	740  
Old 09-07-2007
Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Cards: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelith View Post
I hope someone gives him another chance! This is an article published by a newspaper in Puerto Rico about that subject.
Can you translate the article for us?? My spanish is a little rusty.

Old 09-07-2007
Veteran Member
Contributing Member

Cards: 5041

Smile Retirement article translation

"Igor" Sad for the recess

As many other Puerto Rican baseball players Juan "Igor" Gonzalez is layoff from the baseball workshop expecting to return to the major league baseball.
In early August, the directors of Puerto Rico Professional Baseball League (LBPPR) has announced that due the constant economical challenges the Franchises faces, they had agreed to cancel the 2007 season to perform a restructuration plan.
It is sad, but is better not to comment about it. They already decide to recess, and I feel alright since they (the league directors) are who know about the league and will know what to do for 2008 season. Gonzalez said in an interview with Primera Hora Newspaper.
Since in the past Gonzalez had commented about the league problems, he had returned to play for the Carolina Giants in the last campaign, eventually champions on the season tournament.
It is definitely sad. Satchel Paige must being rolled in its tomb. Not only a lot of Puerto Rican had been developed in this league, but also a lot of Americans too. Hopefully there were light at the end of the tunnel, so the league will recovered and we can keep playing. Gonzalez said.
The veteran baseball player point that he wasn’t surprise by the notice that for the first time in 70 years the professional stadiums of Puerto Rico remains closed during winter season as per the official announced of the LBPPR of suspend the 2007-08 season.
As a baseball player, as well as the fanatics this situation was expected. Gonzalez said.

NOTHING ABOUT RETIREMENT
On the other hand, Gonzalez keeps alive his hope for some Major League Baseball Team to give him the chance to continue with his professional career.
I’m resting, working hard on the weight lifting, but calm down. Retirement? I don’t know what that is. I hope to return, if it’s God will, that’s the way it’s going to be. Gonzalez affirms.
The last time the two times MVP of the American League (1996, 1998) faced action with the Major League was with the Cleveland Indians in 2005, when a wound limited him to an offensive turn.
In 2006 Gonzalez was a former teammate of the Long Island Ducks at the independent League.
Old 09-07-2007
Veteran Member
Contributing Member

Cards: 6318

its not over,he looks to be in great shape he will only be 38 in 08 when the season starts.bonds hit 73 hr at that age! GO TO SPORTS STATS.COM 162 game avg of 43 hr and 130 rbi life time! only Babe Ruth was better,HOF STATS FOR SURE! A-ROD is the same age when JUAN played his last true full season. and you can ditch the roids BS!
Old 09-07-2007
Veteran Member
Contributing Member

Cards: 6318

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie View Post
His career is over as no one will chance on him as he gets older and will be hurt even more.
U R WRONG! WAKE UP! 600k a year is like you or i buying a happy meal! it all has to do with the JOSE CANJERKOFF,roids BS! as for the SOSA signing in Texas,it was just to get fans in the gates for his 600Th hr.tom hicks is one of the BIGGEST scumbags as an owner there is. he and jose make good bookends!

Last edited by nosterbor; 09-07-2007 at 05:27 PM. Reason: wrong